Thursday, December 26, 2013

Reading: Wonder by R.J. Palacio

So... back in January, I decided to actually make a few goals for 2013.  One of which was to read 15 books.  Needless to say, I pretty much failed miserably at that particular goal, but I did finish more books that I would have without that thought in the back of my head.

The book I just recently finished, and thoroughly enjoyed, was Wonder by R.J. Palacio.  As I read it, I couldn't help but draw similarities to The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky.  Anyway, Wonder is about a 5th grader named August who was born with a facial deformity.  The story follows him as he goes from homeschooling to mainstream school for middle school.  It deals with making friends, bullying, and feelings about being different... (different being an understatement).

As I got further into the story, I couldn't help but to think about my future children and their possible experiences in school.  I also reflected on my own.  Luckily, I wasn't bullied, but being a pastor's kid, I was regularly the 'new kid' and that is not fun.  Especially when you come in the middle of a school year.

Anywho, at the end of the book, there is an awards ceremony and this particular quote touched me.  I mean really... I cried.   It made me feel like... "this needs to be printed out and passed out as pamphlets or hung on the wall.  So here it is.  I hope it resonates with you as well. :)



Better luck next year for that reading goal! ^.^

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment ^.^ They make my day!