Friday, June 26, 2015

Finally I'm Finished: the Andromeda Shawl

Hi there!

One of the items on my 30 Before 30 list is to crochet a sweater, a top, & a shawl and I figured making the shawl would be the easiest of the three items.  Now this shawl is the product of SO MUCH FROGGING!!! I mean, I must have restarted the thing something like seven times!  There was this picture in my head that I was trying to make real... I wanted it to be lacy but have enough body to give warmth.
30 before 30
I began with the idea to make it triangle shaped but it just wasn't working.  So I abandoned that shape to go with a rectangle design.  Then after some inspiration browsing on Pinterest and more frogging, I figured out that a few rows of trellis stitch followed by a solid row gave me the look I was imagining! Hurray!
30 before 30
I wanted it to be long enough to wrap around and have a bit of "hang-time" so I made it nearly 6 feet long and about a foot & a half wide.  It took me a while to do all that lacy crochet, but the end result is pretty awesome. I've been finding myself pulling it out and matching my church outfits to it just so I can wear it. ^.^
30 before 30
I used 3-4 balls of the Martha Stewart Crafts Extra Soft Wool Blend yarn (65% acrylic / 35% wool) in Bakery Box White.  Now I want to make another in a bright color and maybe black.  I'm considering making the next using Caron Simply Soft yarn... we'll see how that turns out.
30 before 30
Finally, I named it Andromeda after the beautiful daughter of Cepheus & Cassiopeia in Greek mythology.  Her parents bragged about her looks so much that a sea monster was sent to terrorize their country.  To get the monster to go away, her parents had to sacrifice her to it, but she was saved by Perseus and went on to marry him.  Moral of that story, don't brag ^.^

Anywho, I do love how nice this shawl came out, but I won't brag on it :)  I hope you've had a wonderful day/week.  Hurray for finishing projects!

P.S. While I was taking my blog photos, Kiva decided she wanted to get in on the action.  She walked up and just sat down like, "Ok. I'm ready for my close up!"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment ^.^ They make my day!