Friday, April 22, 2016

Garden Update: New Babies!

Last year I started a herb & veggie garden for my 30 Before 30 list.  I had lots of seed sprouts at the beginning but by the end of the spring/mid summer, I only had basil, chinese plum, cucumber, and beans left.  We ate the beans one Sabbath... all 5 of them lol.

chinese plum, loquat plant, container garden, black girls garden, vegetable garden, herb garden

Of the original garden, only the basil and chinese plum have survived the year.  The basil has actually blossomed a few times and produced seeds, which I planted.  The cool thing about the second generation basil plant was the leaves were much wider than the original.  I wonder why that is... Anywho, I have since re-potted all the basil plants together in one big pot - I have this dream of cultivating a big basil bush.  That would be awesome!  Oh, and the second gen basil plant went to seed and I dropped them in the midst of the pot.  Now I have a few THIRD GEN basil plants growing! Eeeeee!!!

basil plant, container garden, black girls garden, vegetable garden, herb garden

Now that the weather has gotten much warmer at night and early morning, I decided to start my new seedlings.  I started cucumbers, peppers, and beans from seed, and a lavender plant.  The lavender smells soo good!  I can't wait until it's larger so I can make tea and hair spritzes from it.

lavender plant, container garden, black girls garden, vegetable garden, herb garden

container garden, black girls garden, vegetable garden, herb garden

I didn't take any photos of the seed pots of the cucumbers or peppers because they haven't sprouted yet.  This pot of green beans is what I'm calling the 'green bean ball'... after I planted seeds in the started pots, I had a bunch of leftover seeds so I tossed them in the pot.  They have actually sprouted much better than the seeds in the starter pots.  Now I have to figure out how to transplant and separate them into a larger pot. Go figure.  I must say, it makes me smile every time I go out to water the garden.  I always think "Green beans, may the odds be ever in your favor!"  Hopefully, the cucumbers will sprout soon.  Hopefully, the garden will get on well.  Here's to my garden version 2.0!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment ^.^ They make my day!