So I took to Ravelry and browsed what other people had made with one ball. I came across a "Variation on a Basic Hat" by a user called Gmax4. I started knitting the hat and quickly got frustrated by the stiffness and wonkiness of the cord and I kept saying, "I'm gonna rip this out..." But as you can see I didn't.
The little lace pattern is from GmaX4's pattern, but the other mods are mine. I did a 2x2 ribbing instead of 1x1 and my finished hat will have a total of 4 lace repeats instead of 3 as in the original hat. I may even end up putting in more repeats because I want it to be slouchy enough to handle all my hair ^.^ Currently, I'm up to the point to add in the third lace repeat.
|First lace repeat finished.|
|Second lace repeat and a bit of stockinette finished.|
One thing I've really been aware of during working on this project is how much the type of needles affect the knitting. I'm using some needles I picked up at Joann's for like $3 after my coupon. Since I'm working the hat magic loop, I've been fighting the cable because it just wants to curl up on itself. Then in the lace repeats I have to do k2tog (knit 2 together) and because the needle tips are so blunt, it is quite the struggle getting the needle behind two stitches at a time. But I'm pressing through. I'm assuming this hat will be finished within the coming week and I'll be able to add another item to my stack of hand-knits!