Thursday, September 3, 2015

DIY Product Labels

[This is a repost of the original one from 8/20/15 which I accidentally deleted -___- silly me]


Ever since I started gifting and selling my crochet work I've known I should have some kind of label.  My mom is the main person reinforcing/reminding me of this fact.  So I decided to search on Etsy for customizable ones.  All the ones I was finding were more expensive than I could justify.  So I did what I always do, I found a DIY soulution.  ^.^

On Pinterest, I came across this pin of how to make name labels for your children's clothing and I thought the method would work perfectly for my needs.

The materials you'll need for this are:
  • fabric transfer paper
  • an image flipped horizontally to print
  • ribbon (I used 3/8" and 5/8")
  • scissors
  • iron & hard surface
  • needle & thread
I started off with the idea to hand-letter the design but it didn't translate well to the computer (I need more practice with my lettering I guess ^.^)  I liked this idea with the mixed fonts so I reproduced it digitally.

diy fabric tags product labels
not bad for my first foray into hand-lettering huh!

diy fabric tags product labels
workspace...

Next I flipped the image and copied it into a table in a Word document.  Each row of the table was 1/2 inch tall.  I printed the whole page onto the fabric transfer paper and cut off the first row of labels.

diy fabric tags product labels
Avery Light Fabric Transfers from Walmart -here-

Following the transfer instructions, I ironed the printed labels onto the ribbons.  They had to cool for a couple minutes before I could pull the backing paper off. 

diy fabric tags product labels
The instructions say to iron on a hard surface, but all I had was the regular ironing board.  It came out fine.
 
Here are the finished labels before I cut them apart.  I'm going to go ahead and iron labels on to all the rest of the ribbon spool soon.  That way I have them ready to go whenever I finish my next project.

diy fabric tags product labels

The finished labels cam out pretty great!  I'm very proud of myself :)  I like the white and cream colors I have, but I think I'm going to get some smooth satin ribbon instead of the grosgrain I used.  Also, the 5/8" thick ribbon worked a lot better than the 3/8" one.  The only thing I didn't do on the finished labels was try to burn the edges so they don't unravel.  Hopefully that doesn't mess up the transfer.  I'm really happy with how they came out ^.^ 

diy fabric tags product labels
I think the little cross stitches add the the cuteness :)


Now on to put labels on all my hats and blankets and anything else I crochet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment ^.^ They make my day!