Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Sewing... Fail...

Well... we'll just call it a "learning experience"

Monday night I decided to make a pattern from a really cute dress I recently thrifted.  So I pulled out my tracing wheel and brown paper and got to work making the pieces.  I successfully traced the front, back, and sleeves.  Now... my intention was to reproduce the dress using this awesome 60's inspired fabric.

Photo from my Instagram @nadiratani

Ok... looks like a great idea right?  Nope... What I failed to take into consideration was the fabric of the original dress.  It was a super stretchy material and the fabric above is a cotton.  Needless to say, I cut all the pieces and sewed it together, even put a zipper in the back as an afterthought, but the dress was just too small.  I guess I need more practice in the pattern-making area (and zipper installation! I really suck at it!)

I'm not going to scrap it tho.  I'm going to chop it off at the waist, cut pocket shapes from the bodice as to not waste that fabric, and make a skirt with pockets.  Because who doesn't love a skirt with pockets?!

I will keep the pattern pieces tho.  I'll just make sure to find a stretchy material for the next try at this.  Besides, I have a couple coupons for Joann's maybe I can find something on clearance. *shrug*  I'll post a picture of the finished skirt, hopefully tonight.

I hope you are having a nice wednesday... it's still raining here.  It's been raining for nearly 10 days now.  Everything's soggy :-p ick...


  1. That's so funny. The first time I tried to make a blouse I used expensive jersey fabric and I cut the pattern out wrong. It was so bad and sad. I took a picture of it and every time I see it I just laugh. I haven't made any new clothes recently because I feel I'll suck at it. This summer though I would like to make some skirts. That would be really cute to wear.

  2. Love the fabric! Bet the skirt is cute.

  3. I've made similar blunders lol. Great fabric!


Thanks for your comment ^.^ They make my day!