Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Creative & Unconventional

So I was reading while covering the receptionist desk today when my department director asked me about the book.  I told her it's The Career Guide for Creative & Unconventional People which lead to a short conversation about what I wanted to do.  I started telling her about how I really enjoy making/refashioning (crochet, sewing, upcycling, etc) but am having a hard time fitting these into a job title.  She told me, in a nutshell, to find what I'm really passionate about- what I find myself getting lost in doing.

I think that thing is creating with my hands.  Can I be a professional maker...?

Anyway, of course I started crying (rolls eyes) because not knowing what to do is very frustrating.  When our conversation was over, she walked away saying that she thinks that I already know what to do, I just have to sell the idea to myself. Too bad I hate sales.  *shrug*

I've been worrying about this work situation.  Whenever I look at postings all I hear in my head is
"hate it hate it hate it steal your soul steal your soul steal your soul crash your car crash your car crash your car you'll suck you'll suck you'll suck quit now quit now quit now hate it hate it hate it steal your soul steal your soul steal your soul crash your car crash your car crash your car you'll suck you'll suck you'll suck quit now quit now quit now hate it hate it hate it steal your soul steal your soul steal your soul crash your car crash your car crash your car you'll suck you'll suck you'll suck quit now quit now quit now"
on and on it goes... This dialog really makes the job hunt WAY more stressful than it is. But I don't know what to do to counteract it so I kinda just ride it.  That's a bit depressing huh. Sorry... Seem like today is a down day.  I'm not surprised. I felt it coming.  Hopefully it won't be too bad.

If you have job search advice or how to survive as a creative type advice please let me know...

1 comment:

  1. My thoughts are... please don't wait until you are my age to try to pursue a passion/vocation/career that you love. Using your creativity now, while you are at an age to be able to DO something with it, if at all possible... oh, I wish I had. If you can, in any way financially, and it seems Lamar is an encouraging sort... go forward with it, hon.

    This is one big regret for me. Using my creative skills for my "job" instead of my technical abilities. Wow, the things I could have done and gotten paid, and lived off those things. Just wow.

    Don't be me on this one. Be YOU. The creative, amazing and talented person you are. In any way you can, do it.

    Just don't wait until you are almost 53 to realize it...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment ^.^ They make my day!