Thursday, February 7, 2013

What's on My Hook #21: Crochet Cables

Hi there!

I have been an epic slacker when it comes to completing blog posts... I have a couple that I started writing and just forgot to finish... ::slaps wrist::

Anywho, I was suppose to write this last night, but alas it didn't make it from my head to the computer. SO!  Here is my What's on My Hook post ^.^

After finishing my last hat (see it here) I decided that I actually like hats that are gathered at the top.  Plus it makes doing things like ribbing, cables, and other fancy stitches MUCH easier when you don't have to do the math of figuring out the decreases.  Maybe it's lazy... or is it??? So yeah, I wanted to make a cabled hat, so I drew up this idea:


I decided to go with the same green I used for my bow headband (see it here) and add in a stripe of lighter green.  I chained enough to get around my head and then began the 2x2 ribbing.  I made this hat as a flat rectangle and sewed up the sides at the end.  My major mistake with this piece was not taking into consideration how much ribbing/cabling condenses.  So basically the number of chains it took to get a loop the size of my head was not enough once the ribbing got going.  But by the time I stopped to check the fitting, I was already like 3 inches into the cabling.  There was NO WAY I was going to frog all that work out, so I just made another patch to fill in the additional inches. It's actually pretty seamless, not perfect, but pretty good :)  So after working all the cabling, I stitched up the side and closed the top.  I didn't do the pom pom, but I'm considering making one and attaching it to a pin or something so I can have the hat both ways.  Enough jabbering about the hat. Here it is. I hope you like ^.^



It's really cozy. I rolled the brim up because the whole hat is about 3-4 inches longer than I'd like it.  That will be addressed when I write up the pattern.  I still have to run it thru the was to soften up the yarn, but I really like it.  I also went with a regular sc border around the bottom edge instead of the reversed sc in my drawing notes because it was easier.

So that's it for What's on My Hook. ^.^  I have another hat in the works right now & I'm excited to see how it comes along. I hop you are having a wonderful Thursday.  I'll just be over here dreaming of a crochet filled peaceful weekend... Let's hope that's in store for me.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, the cables are fun! I haven't tried crochet cables yet. I've always been a little intimated by them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment ^.^ They make my day!