Thursday, September 5, 2013

WIP Wednesday: Crocheting in Florida

Happy hump-day ^.^

As you can see by the post title, I've decided to change "What's On My Hook Wednesday" to "W.I.P. (work in progress) Wednesday" so that it's not so narrowed to crochet things.  I want to be able to share whatever crafty things I'm working on without my OCD mind getting all twisted up in the post title or label. 

So all that being said, I have a crochet piece to share with you guys.  Since moving to Florida, I've been trying different hat patterns to find one that's slouchy and big enough to hold my hair, but doesn't retain a lot of heat.  I did one hat with a small cluster stitch, but it was too dense.  Then I looked at a stitch called the V-stitch and figured that it would give me a semi-lace looking hat.

After a couple frogged attempts at sizing and shaping the hat, I finally got it right!  I'm so stinkin' excited about this pattern because I can wear it outside or at work and not have a heat stroke! Huzzah!  I actually went out and bought 2 new balls of yarn to make it in other colors.  I went with a medium grey yarn when I was free styling the hat originally, and then I remade it with a forest green to test the pattern.  Both colors are dark enough for me to wear at work, so that's pretty cool.  The two new colors I bought are navy blue and burgundy Vanna's Choice.  I hope to finish the two new hats by the weekend.  That'll be cool :)  Now without further ado, here are my "Florida Hats" (with a better name soon to come ^.^)


Ta-Da!!!
You can see how airy, but still contained the hat is ^.^
I really like this dark green color.  I'm pretty sure it's a Vanna's Choice color.
I just LOVE the fit and comfort of these hats! So exciting ^.^
You can see in the pictures that the green yarn is a teensy bit thicker than the grey scrap yarn I used for the first one.  I think that I'm going to continue using the Vanna's Choice for these.  I like that the yarn has a bit of stretch, is soft, but still an easy care acrylic.

What do you think!?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment ^.^ They make my day!