Friday, July 3, 2015

Garden Update: Attack of the Spider Mites!!!

Hello :)

It's been a while since I've done a garden update and as you can see from the title... tragedy has stuck!  My cucumber plant had been growing pretty well after I moved it into the bigger pot in May.  It even started blossoming.  There were SO MANY flowers!  So I started feeling really good about the garden.  I was excited to see the little cucumbers growing.
30 before 30
But shortly after the flowers bloomed, I noticed that the plant started drooping.  It looked like it needed water, but I was watering it enough.  Then I noticed the leaves were starting to get more and more discolored.  I was getting more and more worried.
 30 before 30
One particular day when the poor plant was looking particularly sad, I sat down to see if I could figure out what was going on.  Upon close inspection, I discovered many of the leaves were covered by a fine webbing... and inside that webbing were all these teeny tiny red bugs. WHAAAAT?!?!?!
30 before 30

I ran in the house and grabbed the neem oil bug killer and sprayed the whole cucumber plant and everything else for that matter.  After all my garden was dripping, I did some googling and discovered that the little bugs were spider mites.  Lemme tell you spider mites are a force to be reckoned with!  I thought that after the epic spray down I put on them they would be done for, but nope.  This is what they did despite the neem oil bath...
30 before 30
No matter how much I tried, the spider mites won.  They killed my poor cucumber plant.
30 before 3

So instead of pouting about lost plants, I decided to buy a replacement cucumber plant from the store.  I also picked up a tomato plant and seed pods for romaine lettuce.  Here are the new additions to the garden in their new homes.
30 before 30
30 before 30
Also... Dollar Tree gardening gloves... not so much the business.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment ^.^ They make my day!