Saturday, December 8, 2012

DIY: Mini Christmas Tree Globe

Yesterday, while walking my dogs home, I found a pine cone that wanted to be a Christmas tree ^.^  Really! I picked it up and thought... "this guy was made to be a little Christmas tree!"  So here are the steps I took to make its dream come true!

Materials
  • Pine cone
  • A pint sized smooth side mason jar
  • Cream spray paint for primer
  • Silver spray paint
  • A star charm
  • Gold fuzzy (o.O) yarn
  • Red nail polish
  • Gold glitter nail polish
  • Hot glue gun & glue sticks
  • Scissors

OK, now we're ready to get started :)

Step 1:  Spray the pine cone with the cream paint.  Make sure to get into all the little layers, but don't let the paint get drippy.  Let it dry for a few minutes.

Step 2:  Spray your cream colored pine cone with silver paint.  While the cone is drying, paint the lid pieces of the mason jar silver as well.  Let everything dry fully.

Step 3:  Paint both sides of the star charm with the gold glitter nail polish.  Set aside to dry.

Step 4:  Hot glue your beautifully painted silver pine cone to the inside of the mason jar lid.  My cone was a tad lop sided, but I just made it stand straight in the HUGE puddle of hot glue.
I realized I didn't take a picture of the freshly glued cone, so you get this after-the-fact photo. Sorry :)
Step 5:  Use the red nail polish to paint dots on the edges of the "branches" for ornaments.  Let dry.  If you want other colors, have at it.  I wanted to do green also, but my green polish is MIA...

Step 6:  Attach your yarn 'garland' at the bottom of the tree with a dot of hot glue, and wrap around a few times.  Attach it at the top with another dot of hot glue.  Set aside.

Step 7:  Hot glue your glittery star to the top of the cone.

Step 8:  Screw the jar on to the lid and...

VOILA!
You now have a cute mini Christmas tree for your table or mantle.  Hurray ^.^

I'm pretty sure there's a way to make this into a snow globe with water and glitter, but I don't have any glitter & didn't feel like researching how to make that work.

If you decide to make one of these, I'd love to see it! Leave me a comment or link :) Happy holiday crafting!

3 comments:

  1. such a cute idea to put in a jar! love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks really cute! Thank you for sharing the link with me :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment ^.^ They make my day!