A few weeks ago, I snagged a HUGE bag of fabric from ThriftMart for $1.00 (originally $6, but I had a $5 coupon- yay me). When I took all the fabric out, I was so surprised at the amount that was in there. It was packed super tight ^.^ In addition to the fabric, there were quite a few handkerchiefs, cloth napkins, pieces of felt, & fabric place mats.
|The majority of the fabric.|
Anywho, I decided that after Amber's wedding I was going to try my hand at making a real patchwork quilt that is actually adult sized. (My last quilting project was tiny & is here.) My original idea for this quilt was to cut up all the fabric into 1'x1' blocks & arrange them in some kind of color-wise gradient pattern... I'm VERY glad I didn't do that. Why? Because once I cut up the red fabrics & laid them out I had just enough for a 5'x7' quilt... I spent something like 6 hours cutting & piecing together scraps to make full blocks last night.
|This little guy was my left hand last night, lol.|
I was determined not to waste a lot of fabric, so whenever I needed a few more inches on a block, I surged little pieces together. Some of my blocks are actually made of 4 or more smaller scraps. I figure it's a scrap quilt so I might as well make use of ALL my scraps :)
As the night went on, and all my blocks were laid out, my trusty "crafting partners" came out to do their comfort tests...
|Kiva & Toot|
|**Wedding nails still hanging in there ^.^**|
|Strips all done.|
|The finished quilt top.|
The next step is to get the batting & backing fabric & pin it all together. I figure that that will be my crafternoon project for tomorrow. I'm nervous about the binding step, because my last 2 quilt bindings were a little shifty & fudged. So hopefully 3's a charm.
This post has gotten really long (sorry) but I hope you enjoyed seeing how I sewed my Friday night away. Have a great weekend!